So I attempted to dress up the new bed a bit. A quick trip to Spotlight saw me grab the quilt cover below for an awesome $19. The fabric that I used for the hanging was $5 a meter (picture me doing a happy dance when I saw it was on sale!). I also picked up a canvas which (as you can see) is yet to be painted whilst I was there.
As you can see, the air conditioner on the wall is in line with the top rail of the bed. We took the fan & light heights into consideration when building the bed but completely forgot about the air con. Hopefully when we move we'll be able to push the bed up against the wall. To stop our heads dropping off the head of the bed in the meantime I bought a body pillow to act as a makeshift head board. It fit perfectly length ways, but I think we need another one to completely fill the gap.
I like both the bed spread and the fabric but I'm not sure if I like them together. And the bed spread is a little crunchy!
Anyhoo, once I got over that I continued researching (aka pinning) four post beds. As I searched around the webesphere I realised that I preferred the beds that were a bit more 'chunky' (that's a proper design term right there!). To me they feel much sturdier, and a lot more cosy!
And then Brodie chimed in with a suggestion that he may possibly definitely have regretted. Maybe we could build it?
And by we he means him as he is a carpenter and I am most definitely not. His only stipulation was that he wanted a low lying bed, which I was A-ok with.
Fast forward, a trip to Bunnings later and a day in the shed later and we have our very own four post bed.
The most important step in the building process was numbering all the pieces. We wanted the bed to be moveable. So before painting we went around and numbered the pieces, with each number having it's twin that it slotted into. Once we pulled it apart to paint I was given the important task of engraving the number into each piece (where it wouldn't be visible, of course).
The painting was a killer. Of course I had to have a white bed. I was regretting this three coats later.
We gave the posts a few days to dry, and then busting with anticipation (Me, not Brodie!) we reassembled the bed in a our bedroom.
And here it is in all its glory.
Picture me jumping and clapping when we were finally finished putting it together!
I haven't quite finished yet, and I'll be back in a few days with the details on soft furnishings and a new piece of art work the wall.